|PROF. JOEL HOFFMAN||COMPOSITION||20.7.-31. 7. 2017.|
I’d like to alert you to the 14th annual composition course this summer as part of the “UPBEAT” International Summer Music School in the town of Milna on the beautiful Adriatic island of Brac in Croatia. The dates of the course are 20 through 31 July, 2017. The deadline for receipt of all materials is Friday, 3 March, 2017.
The school website is:
Milna is a beautiful village on the island of Brac. It is reachable by a one-hour ferry ride from the historic Dalmatian port city of Split. Here are a few pictures of Milna:
The daily group meetings consist of the following:
(1) Composition Practicum: Writing for the Milna Ensemble
This is the main part of the course, in which students will have composed complete pieces in advance of the course for either the entire ensemble or some part of it. The pieces will be rehearsed and evaluated in depth in a group setting by Professor Hoffman as well as by other professors in residence in terms of compositional craft and idiomatic writing for the ensemble. There will be ample time for revision and refinement of the compositions, which will then be performed by the ensemble in the final concerts on 30 and 31 July in Milna.
(2) Improvisation Workshop
A number of principles of improvisation will be introduced and demonstrated, along with daily group exercises and structured improvisation events. This part of the composition course is also open to other music students taking part in the “UPBEAT” International Summer Music School.
What to submit?
Interested composers must send the following materials to Professor Hoffman by Friday, 3 March, 2017:
1. a resume. In the resume, please make sure the following information is included:
- composition experience, including works composed with year of composition
- list of performances of your works
- universities/conservatories attended with dates of degrees earned as composer
- names of composition teachers
- performance level on your instrument (e.g. beginning, intermediate, advanced)
- list of repertoire performed on your instrument
- list of performances and any awards/competitions won
- names of instrumental/vocal teachers
2. date of birth, citizenship, mailing address, email address and phone number
3. a score of one original work for a small ensemble scored for 2-15 separate parts. A live or MIDI recording of this ensemble piece is strongly encouraged but not required.
4. a recording of two contrasting pieces in which you perform. The pieces may be either solos or ensemble pieces but in the case of the latter, it should be easy to individuate your playing from among the others in the ensemble (i.e. If you are a violinist, please do not submit a work for three violins!). Please make sure you include information as to the work performed, duration of pieces and when/where the recording was made. Recordings may be either audio or video.
Please submit your materials in the following way:
It is required that the participants’ compositions for the Milna Ensemble be completed well before the course begins so that the focus during the course can be on revising and refining. Scores and parts should be sent to Professor Hoffman via yousendit.com (or a similar service) no later than Friday, 26 May, 2017, and copies of these should be emailed directly to the new work’s performers at that time to allow sufficient time for individual preparation. It is hoped that the composers will also work on new pieces for the ensemble during the course, which can be rehearsed and discussed along with the previously completed pieces.
The principal language of the “UPBEAT” International Music Summer School is English. In addition, Professor Hoffman can accommodate students in Italian and French.
Please email me with any questions.